We were in Omaui, a bit South of Invercargill, for a sunny week in June 2016.
We were super excited because we were going to the southernmost place in NZ – except for the small islands. We’d been to Cape Reinga, the northernmost point of NZ, in early 2013, so it would be awesome to have those 2 extremes covered.
Other than that, and Bluff Oysters (which we did not try), we didn’t know much about Southland.
But we did have an awesome week, even though we were super tired.
We spent the week in this perfect house. Really, I loved every minute of it, even the funny tasting water. It’s big, with 3 bedrooms, a big living room, dining room and kitchen. It had a washing machine and a bathtub. It was super clean, warm and had this amazing view of Omaui Beach from most of the windows. Even though it had only 4 forks and no big pan, we all loved it.
So, while we were there, we did:
– the city walk, of course. Invercargill has a small center, so you can do it all on foot. It’s charming, with buildings from different times, which makes an interesting view.
– Queen’s Park was probably my favorite place there! Beautiful park, with an amazing playground. There are many different gardens, loads of space to cycle, run, walk, skate and everything else. There’s even a little farm animal zoo and a museum there.
– this leads us to the Southland Museum and Art Gallery! It’s got this pyramid shape and my kids noticed it super early on. It’s relatively small but quite nice. We found out that Aurora australis (the southern lights) is visible in Invercargill during winter. Didn’t see it, though.
– Stirling Point, the place where the distance signs are. It’s NOT the southernmost point, but it’s close enough. We walked to Foveaux memorial, the actual southernmost point. It’s a super nice and easy walk. It took us around 1 hour each way. Walking, we saw a fur seal, many fantails, seagulls, and shags.
– Reading Cinema, to watch Finding Dory, because we had to. Loved it. The cinema is clean, nice, the sound is clear and the image is good. And the movie was amazing.
– we stopped by the War Memorial, but we didn’t stay for long, just passed by. It’s the memorial, and that’s it.
We didn’t really try any different food. We just had Burger Fuel because we needed it – cheap, good and fast.
We did very little there, but what we did, we thoroughly enjoyed. During the week we were there, the sky had this orange-sunsety color all day long. It was amazing. It’s a small town, with all the facilities we could need. I didn’t think it was as scenic as other cities (except Queen’s Park which is gorgeous) but it’s a nice place to visit. Plus, don’t we all want to see the southern lights?
And our video!